Sunday, November 2, 2014

iQuest #5: Research Project

I have chosen to research Shigeru Miyamoto for my research project. He is the creator of major franchises like Mario and Zelda and is the head of a branch of Nintendo. I chose to research him because he had and still has such a large influence over the gaming industry even today. You could say he's one of the founding fathers of modern games, as many of his franchises and innovations are still around today as a part of Nintendo's history.

I want to learn what he drew inspiration from for his franchises, why his games are as interesting and fun to play as they've proven to be, and what his process is for innovation. His franchises/games are able to appeal to almost any age group and I think that's a much larger achievement than people understand. When you try to appeal to many demographics at once, you have to cater the content so each demographic can understand or relate. Doing that without negatively affecting another demographic and without making the content itself too generic and unoriginal is an overwhelming task that I hope I can achieve with my games. I don't want to create a franchise that has a very specific audience and doesn't change much at all through each game to appeal to fans of different gameplay styles, but I also don't want to create a game full of boring graphics and an unrelatable storyline just because I need it to be easily moldable to the audience I want to target. Miyamoto's work is something that I can study and learn from, and that's why I chose him to research.

1 comment:

  1. Miyamoto seems like an excellent person to research. I wonder how old he was when he created Mario and what his background was before that. Will you be posting any of your research of Miyamoto on your blog?

    ReplyDelete