Sunday, October 5, 2014

iQuest #3: Semester Goal

My first major goal I will accomplish by January is actually a compilation of a lot of smaller goals. I will get the first character model sculpted (not necessarily textured), rig it to a bone tree, import it into the engine, get most of the basic character movement code such as walking, jumping, etc written, and will start blocking out an alpha version of a stage.

In less technical terms, I'm going to put a playable character and test stage in the game.

My first reason for doing this before anything else is because I actually have been working on designing this character for a while. She has three different concepts drawn by three different people that I am working with. 

My second reason is that I need to get acquainted writing code in the unreal engine (I'm going to call it UE4 from now on). UE4 provides an intuitive set of controls that let you immediately add your content and let it interact with the world, but uses regular C++ code with some extra unreal-specific parameters that I need to learn how to use. Not only that - I'm not fluent in C++ just yet.

My last reason is I will eventually need a stage with obstacles and things to test the gameplay on. A flat plane as a world isn't going to provide me with a very good debugging experience, nor will it be very fun for somebody to play on. 'Blocking' a stage is where you put visible collision objects where detailed models will eventually go. I am not going to be modeling the actual stage just yet.

My five action steps I am going to take are as follows:

1. Focus! This is honestly the hardest thing for me. I can do anything eventually if I set my mind to it, but avoiding distractions is hard, especially when I'm sitting at my computer to do work.

2. Ask my mentor questions when I need help or advice. I am a silent problem solver, like batman. I rarely ask questions in class. This is different though - I am entirely self taught. I will be able to achieve more with help from my mentor.

3. Work on my time management. Prioritizing schoolwork, game work and other real life things is tough.

4. Work on my goals at least a little bit every day.

5. Don't let my perfectionism stop me from ever 'finishing'. I tend to never be satisfied with my work no matter how good it really is, which is a gift and a curse.

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! I took computer programming last year and I commend you on wanting to pursue programing and creating your own game. That sounds like a daunting task and it is definitely not easy. Good luck, and I know you will accomplish your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is so amazingly fascinating! I hope you are able to reach all of you goals in creating your game! Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete